I’m a sucker for food. I love eating although it doesn’t quite show now because of the drastic diet and fitness regimen that I had to go through 2 years ago wherein I lost 50lbs in roughly 4 months (185lbs. down to 135lbs.)
It takes a substantial amount of effort to stay fit. In fact, GETTING FIT and STAYING FIT are two different beasts altogether. It’s harder to maintain weight than to lose weight, in my opinion.
But that doesn’t mean I don’t indulge in a lot good food every now and then. I have to. It keeps me sane.
That being said, just last week my wife and I were invited by good friend, Ferds Bondoy, and Electrolux Philippines to go on a food tour all around the province of Pampanga. Yes. Pampanga… a province known for their rich heritage of wonderful (and sometimes exotic) dishes.
According to Electrolux, the love and passion that Filipinos have when it comes to food is no secret. Whether it be eating out or eating in the comforts of our own home, eating is definitely a favorite Filipino pastime. With this in mind, Electrolux is embarking on a journey to re-discover our appreciation of Filipino food, culture, and heritage through its Discover-E kitchen campaign.
“As part of our commitment to meet the needs of (Filipino) consumers, Electrolux has carried out a nationwide initiative designed to promote culinary discovery and enjoyment of Filipino cuisine,” says Andrea Pionilla, Group Product Manager, Electrolux Philippines. “Our Discover-E campaign will let consumers discover and do more culinary exploration in their kitchens with the help of Electrolux kitchen appliances.”
This was one trip I wasn’t going to pass on. If there was any time that I would want to indulge in glorious food, it would be this. Most “Kapampangans” (a term used for people who grew up in Pampanga) are usually skilled in the kitchen… and my tummy was so ready to test that fact.
I had so much fun bonding with old and new friends… and it goes without saying that the food was absolutely satisfying.
We toured a good number of places around Pampanga such as “Kusina Matua Nang Atching Lillian”, “Kabigting’s Halo-Halo”, “Everybody’s Cafe”, “Prado Farms” and “Apag Marangle”.
And since images speak more than words can ever convey, I shall leave you to drool and gasp on all the “food porn” posted below which I have taken during this memorable trip. Enjoy.
My Discover-E Pampanga Food Tour Photos!
(Click on any image below to enlarge)
- At Kusina Matua Nang Atching Lillian Borromeo.
- Atching Lillian’s pots.
- Authentic clay kitchen ware.
- Atching Lillian’s wooden sign.
- With Atching Lillian, the awesome woman behind all the wonderful food we had this mor…
- Tocino and Longganisa!
- Tamales. Made of rice, salted egg & coconut milk.
- Rebuelto. A mixture of different recycled food turned into an omelet.
- Tidtad! A Kapampangan version of dinuguan (bloodstew).
- Tsokolate de Batirol. This is really good chocolate! Really good!
- Atching Lillian’s version of "Morcon". Yummy!
- Maja Blanca. Not too sweet. Just right! :)
- Preparing the Tsokolate de Batirol
- This is one delicious tsokolate! :)
- With Marie Aileen Regina Dreyfus and Atching Lillian.
- The whole gang at Atching Lillian’s place.
- This is Atching Lillian’s old style kitchen. I love it!
- Atching Lillian showing a sample of the mold used for making San Nicolas cookies.
- Atching Lillian prepares the dough for her San Nicolas cookies.
- Atching Lillian preparing her very own San Nicolas cookies!
- San Nicolas cookies!
- Yay! Kabigting’s Halo-Halo!
- Marie Aileen Regina Dreyfus posing beside Kabigting’s Halo-Halo.
- Eto na! Yummy Halo-Haloooooooo! :)
- Kabigting’s Halo-Halo! Made of cow’s milk, carabao’s milk pastillas, red beans, corn,…
- Hindi nagbayad ng halo-halo kaya nakakulong… LOL!
- Yay! Everybody’s Cafe!
- Inside Everybody’s Cafe.
- The owner of Everybody’s Cafe, Poch Jorolan, greeting all of us and sharing a few sto…
- With the owner of Everybody’s Cafe, Poch Jorolan. Great guy!
- Sisig Kapampangan! Pork meat, pork fat, and spices cooked in vinegar.
- "Camaro" (crickets cooked in vinegar). Hungry, anyone? :)
- "Morcon" at Everybody’s Cafe. Smothered with crab fat on top! Sinfully good…
- "Batute" (Stuffed Frogs)! Who wants some of these? Yum! :)
- Fresh Lumpia courtesy of Everybody’s Cafe.
- Okoy! Made of shrimp, galapong and papaya. Perfect with vinegar!
- Minatamis na saging! The milk was still on its way when I took this pic.
- Tapang Kalabaw (Carabao meat). Tender and deeeeelicious!
- Palaban ang palakang ito, ah! LOL! :))
- Too much Camaro!!! Eeeeek!!! :))
- Water Lilies at Prado Farms
- Through the window
- Top view of the water lilies at Prado Farms
- A really cool looking staircase
- Marie Aileen Regina Dreyfus smiling for the camera.
- View from the second floor
- A door at the second floor.
- A long road leading to the other areas of Prado Farms
- Posing by the window of one of the many structures inside Prado Farms
- Emote kuno… LOL!
- Second floor porch. Very nice!
- Entrance to Prado Farms’ mini theatre room.
- Sitting on the theatre stage and posing for the camera.
- Prado Farms’ very own prayer room. Nice!
- Marie Aileen Regina Dreyfus posing for the camera… again. :)
- "Groupie" shot at Prado Farms!
- Prado Farms has a really cool pool. Hey that rhymes! :)
- Our snack at Prado Farms – farm cheese, freshly baked biscuit, ground pork.
- Dessert at Prado Farms – Tsokolate-eh with pinipig & fried suman.
Generated by Facebook Photo Fetcher 2
By the way… Electrolux is launching the Instant Discover-E Photo contest, an avenue for all foodies to share and exchange food pictures, or to simply drool over all delicious pictures.
The photo contest is aimed at encouraging virtually everyone to take a picture and upload scrumptious Filipino food using Instagram and Twitter. Once a week, three entries with the yummiest picture will be awarded free items, gift certificates and Food Passports for Electrolux Discover-E Food Festival!
“We are inviting everyone to discover the Filipino cuisine with us, one post at a time,” says Andrea Pionilla, Group Product Manager, Electrolux Philippines. “We have made this contest as simple as possible—all they have to do is take a photo of any food, post with the hashtag #DiscoverE and tag @ElectroluxPH on Instagram or Twitter and they will get a chance to win.”
Contest period is from between May 15, 2013 and June 30, 2013. Winners will be announced every week.
Leave your comments